The Sewing Square's getting together again tomorrow which means I have to get some practice in tonight.
I'm like one of those people who has a cleaner - they spend all morning cleaning their house in preparation for the cleaner.
So, right now, if you so much as look at me, I'll sew you some boxer shorts or a pair of bloomers.
I've never admitted to being a crafty sewer, or even someone who can even put a zip in, but I can sew a pair of pyjama pants or bloomers like a seasoned professional.
A total of 12 pyjama pants/bloomers are happening as I type.
It's like a mid-century sweat shop.
Meanwhile, I bought this dress on Etsy a while back. At the time I thought it quite 'Annie Hall'. In the photos it looked cool with a black turtle neck and black tights.
When it arrived in the mail, I didn't need much convincing to conclude it wasn't 'Annie Hall' at all.
In my deluded enthusiasm, I misread '100% polyester' as 'fine camel-coloured corduroy'.
It's made of the same material as this fellow ...
So when I wear the dress, I feel like something one could win in Side-show Alley. I'm thinking I'll unpick the whole thing, make a pattern of it, and re-make it using different fabric and rejig the tasselly she-bang at the front.
I thought I'd use this Ikea fabric ... but now I'm not so sure.
Mother, you are so stupid! Get a real job!
You are a sewing machine! That M is getting pretty saucy. No more bloomers for her! I see she has her own house though.
ReplyDeleteYou've got me beat, kiddo...I've made exactly one pair of PJ pants in my sewing "career." Methinks I'm better suited to nice, vaguely rectangular items.
ReplyDeleteyou are not the first to be swindled by and artsy photo on etsy! at least you can laught about it OR make a Tee Pee for you and the fam to play in now that its summer!
ReplyDeleteDeb,
ReplyDeleteSaucy as in 'getting her gear off'? If so, it was HOT yesterday. I wanted to start digging a swimming pool.
Wendy,
I know it's fun to sew only straight lines ... but elasticised bottoms are so easy especially if you get a production line going ... which you could do.
Milady,
that tee-pee idea is not such a silly one. I was wondering what I was going to do with all that brown synthetic.
I love the laughing child I think she may cause trouble for you when she is about 13 years older. Believe me it starts in the early teens.
ReplyDeleteSurely that Ikea fabric could be made into a cushion or two? That dress looks very big and polyster is NOT the fabric for a sweat shop. This is evidence you're crafty even contemplating a re-jig. It would be straight in the Vinnies bag for me. Now M has pulled it off perfectly in the dress dept.
ReplyDeleteOn the plus side, if you wear that dress over some stockings and hook yourself up to the power box you'll have a renewable source of electricity.
ReplyDeleteI am an excellent sewing person. I can sew anything that has straight lines: cushion covers and capes and... that's about it. I need your pattern for bloomers though - they sound good 'n easy. I'm picturing you in a crazy sewing montage - I can even hear the music. Bit like that typewriter music. Ting! A pair of bloomers fly off the end of the machine etc.
ReplyDeleteDoes that mean you're going to refashion your evilbay purchase into a giant pair of bloomers?
waiting to see the teepee...
ReplyDeletemaybe I should hire a cleaner - then I might actually get motivated to clean up!...
seriously impressed with the MMMC sweat shop!
12 pairs of pyjama pants goodness me! go you. that certainly is a PB. is that 2 pairs for each family member? i have pyjama pants still on my list of things to make. but now it is hot so i don't see it happening anytime soon!
ReplyDeleteOh crap! you just reminded me that the cleaning lady will be on my doorstep at 9.00 AM tomorrow morning and I haven't managed to clean up in preparation for her visit yet!
ReplyDeleteI love how you Aussies abbreviate everything. We just say Personal Best here. How boring we are.
ReplyDeleteI meant to comment on your 'corduroy dress' yesterday, but I clearly lost my concentration somewhere. Anyway, I much prefer Martha's dress, and I think she does too, that's what the grin is all about, I imagine. I long for many things, amongst them, a sewing machine. The handsewn curtain, took me forever... 12 pairs of pyjama pants would probably take me 6 months to complete!
ReplyDeleteBtw, I came to think of a beautifull dress I have, from Dansih designer Lene Sand, I will never fit in it (actually never did), I'll send you a photo when the daylight appears! It's yours if you like it :) Something for court maybe :))))
Is that pea-green on your sewing machine? Love it!
ReplyDeleteYou are too funny! What a shame about the dress. Looks good from the photo...
ReplyDelete