Thursday, November 4, 2010

To wit, to woo.

It's getting that close to my exams being over that I'm beginning to think about what I can read after the fact.

First cab off the rank is this one ... 


Thought I'd get back into some PG Wodehouse just to warm the cockles.

I read his biography a while ago. For someone very funny in print, he was very boring in real life. I don't blame him though. I blame the biographer. Or his mother.

And then this one was suggested to me ... so I'm desperate to begin reading again. Any other suggestions?


This is my eldest son's room at the moment.


He's heavily into Strawberry Shortcakes, freshly canonised St Mary of the Cross, and all things immaculate. 


He is the same son who sulks when I throw 'beautiful roses' on the compost.


And the same son who greets baby Martha in the morning with a hearty, "Good tidings, young lady!"

7 comments:

  1. OH NOES! You shouldn't be out shopping for books. You'll understand any day now...

    I better get my speedy socks on and purchase the Wodehouse for our mini book reading love in. Maybe others should join us?

    And I just love the windows in your son's room, the crazy hair of the dollies' and the morning salutations. He should start his own style blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Lucky Jim! Is son#1 preparing for a vocation in the priesthood?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with a bit of gallantry in a morning greeting, milady. It is worth noting that your fair knight balances his penchant for those shortcake strumpets with some hearty cowboy quilting and a sturdy monkey who probably needs him.
    He may well enjoy a bit of the timeless Danny Kaye. I'm particularly thinking of 'the Court Jester', a film beloved by most hammy little boys. You know.."the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eldest sons are a mystery all around. Good tidings to you, young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any book recommendation but was smiling to see your son's room. My son is into Barbie and loves playing dress up and my daughter is annoyed by his actions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zigsma,
    I haven't bought 'Carry On, Jeeves' yet. Typically, I was looking for it under 'Thurber' which was why I couldn't find it.

    I did buy all the 'Carry On ...' DVDs though ... much to the thrill of the Husband!

    Deb, I'll go all Spanish Inquisition if he thinks about becoming a priest!

    AA, that monkey does need him! And I'll track down some Danny Kaye for him ... your suggestion sounds hilarious. My mother wanted to show his some old Fred Astaire but he wasn't interested.

    Wendy, you've got a lot of eldest sons. I trust you.

    E.Fernandez, Hello! So glad to hear this sort of sonnish behavious is universal. Older sisters have a lot of influence, possibly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sons room. Perhaps I'm a little envious as I never had any of those dolls and how I wanted some! Do they still smell? Your son sounds like a beautiful soul destined to be a great man.
    I'm so behind on reading 'big peoples' books these days. I seem to start nodding off after a page. This parenthood bizzo is messing with my eyelids. I need some matchsticks.

    ReplyDelete