Sunday, October 17, 2010

Boarding School Shenanigans

I was sent to Boarding School in the last two years of High School. I think it was because my school marks weren't great and I was hangin' with the wrong crowd - the groovy, scruffy, surfy crowd. You dig what I'm sayin'?

So to boarding school I went. Boarder Mistresses were generally hideous and mean. The food was ordinary - though at Boarding School I developed my love for Shepherd's Pie.

Religiously, I had Jam Sandwiches everyday for lunch. You had to order your lunch (on the morning of any day which you wanted sustenance at about midday) on a brown paper bag.

I liked to leave helpful safety messages for the kitchen staff ...

(These are reconstructions of my lunch bags for dramatic purposes. Not the original lunch bags)


You find amusement any way you can, at Boarding School.

After I left Boarding School, Occupational Health and Safety records reveal that there was quite a dramatic spike in easily-preventable accidents in the school kitchen.You tell me why that was?!

 This was my 'cubicle' in the Grade 11 Dorm. Just like home, really.

On the weekends it was hard to find things to do at Boarding School. 
Many girls smoked in the showers. I didn't. Some 'snuck' into town. I didn't.

 This was our 'Head Boarder'. She would inspire confidence in us all 
and remind us how much we loved Boarding School.

Our Boarding School was quite old. The school started in 1920. Its main building was used as a war hospital for the Americans during WWII.

My favourite thing about the Boarding School was that it had two old lifts. You know the type, with the manual sliding doors - one 'external door' of wood and glass panels to see the occupants, and then an 'internal' concertina grill which kept the occupants in the lift as it rises from floor to floor.

The lifts at the Boarding School were 'off limits' - one was the main lift which we were allowed to use at the start and finish of every term so that we could bring our luggage to our dorms. The other lift was exactly the same as the large lift, but it was "the Nuns'" lift. It was much smaller (could fit about four adults in it) and it was DEFINITELY out-of-bounds being in the 'closed-off' section of the Nuns' area.

 This is another Dorm. Doesn't it look like fun?

The "Nuns' lift" however went straight up to (Heaven? No.) the Grade 11 dorm on the top floor. It never stopped on that floor because boarders were never allowed to use it and, as much as I hoped they would, no nun rode the lift to the Year 11 dorm to read us all a nightie-night story from the New Testament.

Anyway, one boring weekend me and two other boarders, for some reason, decided we'd catch the "Nuns' lift". Just for a laugh.

No one was around. The Boarder Mistresses were nowhere to be seen .... but we had to be careful because the lifts made one-hell of a racket which I swear you could hear throughout the school.

 These are Boarders lining up to get fed. I found being a Boarder was akin to being 
a second-class citizen or a 'tenant' in residential rental terms.

So, at the bottom of the school near the music room, into the "Nuns' lift" we got ... . It was cold and scary and quiet.

We shut the the wooden door and then shut the grill, pressed the top button and slowly began to rise. The lift made a cranking sound as it rose between the floors ... Floor One ... Floor Two ... and then, jerk.

STOP!

The bloody thing stopped between Floor Two and Three, in the out-of-bounds Nun's area! Shit.We were trapped. From inside the lift, I could just see over the wooden floors of Floor Three, and somewhere below us was the ceiling space of Floor Two.

The lift wouldn't budge. We couldn't afford to be caught by nuns stuck in their lift, because I knew no one who'd caught the Nun's lift and I couldn't begin to imagine our fate if caught.

One of the girls I was with started laughing hysterically - she was from Papua New Guinea and she had had malaria.

We opened the doors and all tried to scramble, and haul ourselves with our bare fingernails out onto the wooden floor of Floor Three. But it was too high for us to get our knees up onto the Floor. And we were too high up to jump out onto the Floor below. So we were stuck! Tight. Like three school girls in a confessional box.

Then the hysterical girl from Papua New Guinea lost all control of her bladder. Resulting in a big pool of urine in the corner of the Nun's lift!

(She often wet her pants at inopportune moments. She told me her doctor said she'd stop wetting her pants once she had babies. I still can't work out the physiology of that cure for incontinence. And, when one is stuck in a tiny lift with two other 16-year-old Catholic girls, having babies seems a long-way off.)

It couldn't get any worse. And she wouldn't stop laughing, and then she started hopping about trying not to stand in her wee.

Then, from down the hall, I was sure I could hear the sound of Rosary beads being scooped-up and then the squishy-padding of rubber-soled, flesh-coloured Homypeds making their way towards lift to see "What the Goodness!" was going on.

We slammed both lift doors shut, ever wary of the spreading pool of bodily fluid, and started punching at the buttons hoping the old lift would start up again.

Come on! Come on!

Finally, thank God! Something like a gear crunched, and the lift lurched back into action and began slowly rising towards the Top Floor. When it stopped at the Grade 11 dorm, we pulled open the doors, we poured out, wee poured out, and we ran for it!

Fin!

21 comments:

  1. I cn just imagine the talk in the nuns staff room "So, any idea idea who the incontinent penguin is"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so familiar. You only had the two years there, I had the grand total of 5 years + a couple of school holidays there.
    The pengins by the stage you were there had moved out to the new house. But you are right the homepeds of Sr B. She would have been round like a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, good memories! i went to a boarding school too but I was a day girl except for a few times when I boarded, they were funny times, quite surreal looking back now!
    your helpful safety messages reminded me of this funny clip of a NZ police officer offering advice, you might have seen it already?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UX8KASASU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a funny story!! That picture of the head boarder is gold. Could she have been more miserable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious - I can't believe you got out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this story. No wonder creativity blossoms in such an environment. Have a great monday.
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  7. That story needs to be a picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you got to wear those nifty grey skirts, I can't think of a reason to complain. (Other than the wee-in-close-quarters thing. And the stuck-between-floors thing. And maybe the end-of-your-academic-career-if-you-got-found-out thing.) Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful story! I so enjoyed the lunch bag replay. Are you still friends with the wee gal? I think boarding school would have been the end of me.
    Yours in fond memories,

    my word verification is rationes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh the memories. I was almost nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a hilarious story! The things we do to keep our sanity. Your mention of your Papuan friends laughter brought back many memories for me. My husband and I did a placement with Australian Volunteers in Kiribati 10 years ago and to this day I find myself laughing whenever I think of the Gilbertese laughing. They would laugh so hard at things that we would not have even necessarily found funny. Their laughter was so infectious that we found ourselves laughing hysterically at them laughing hysterically. Ahhh, the days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother also enrolled me in a boarding school for year 11 and 12. I cried for three days and she relented and let me stay home. I think she knew she was pregnant with the 9th child and thought my nappy hanging prowess might serve a purpose. Having seen this post I wonder if I shouldn't have turned off the spigot and gone off for an up-lifting adventure.

    We did have a big old Italian convent in our town though which was like Hogwarts to a sheltered country kid. My Dad used to volunteer me to stay there with another 10 yr old friend if a nun was on her own for a weekend (an under age chaperone if you will). We slept in iron beds in the redundant, very spooky, 100 yr old dorm. That may be why I cried when threatened with the real deal years later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have now realised how inadequate our tuckshop bags have been. I think it is time to change our ways as a public safety service. There is less room on those bags though when you add a name and things like 'Hawaiian Melt' and 'Chicken Burger' and 'Coffee Milk' - very exotic now, no?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh MMMC that was gold!! More please! I love hearing about school and it makes me nostalgic for the Chill on the Hill...
    Also , it reinforces my decision to send my three girls there! Oh blessed place, I hope it hasn't changed too much by the time they go...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did i miss this post?? I came from a big family & we all went to private schools where we had boarders & as my brothers & sister moved out of home, we'd invite boarders home to fill the rooms in the house & play on weekends after sport. Also handy my big sister was cool & bought us alcohol, drove us to parties & had older boys for us to dream about. Such fun. We plan to send our 4th to boarding school, our only boy, so i hope he is naughty & has fun too!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every night before bed (and sometimes in bed), I listen to a bit of Agatha Christie and knit (like any old granny). It helps me relax and empty my mind before sleeping... Tonight I read your story instead, and the effect was pretty much the same. Just wish I could have Captain Hastings read it to me in bed. Maybe your boarding school stories has a never before thought of future!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I caught the nuns lift once. It's smell was the other thing that struck me... apart from the cold, dark, quiet, scaryness of it. It had a smell like dampness and sickness and bottled up anger and bad school dinners and fear. Oh, and the faint, ever so faint smell of wee. thanks for the trip down memory lane and that classic photo of macqueen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. just found this...you are so FUNNY Such an awesome writer! PLEASE write books so I have something I actually love to read at night.
    seriously.
    i'll be waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you know that you can create short links with LinkShrink and receive dollars from every visitor to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete