Saturday, October 16, 2010

Finland. And how to weave it into a Saturday in Brisbane.

Sometimes I forget the Finns of Finland. Of course, I always think of them when I ponder the marvellousness that is Marimekko.


This is Martha. 
I'm sick of calling her Child Four. If she were in Finland, I guess she'd be called Martta.
She is sitting in front of my old Marimekko bedspread. I'm not sure what to do with it ... whether I should leave it as-is, or convert it into a doona cover for her.

I tried many ways to weave some Finnish finery into our Saturday. 
Which was unseasonably windy. And the sky was as blue as the lakes of Finland.


And there was mowing to do. These are gratuitous shots. They have nothing to do with Finland. Looking at these photos, I think Child One must have stuck her hands to her head with glue.


I referred to the Finnish Design Shop site which is filled with Finland's finest.



Oooh, lovely. But impractical. 

 Spotty and gorgeous.


 Heavy, cast-iron, clunky deliciousness.

It's years since I've ridden a BMX like this.



I'd snatch this handbag in a second.


I love this get-up. 

So I decided to channel some Finnish head-scarfery while I tried to finish some judgments.


Well, one judgment.
Because I'm easily distracted, especially when it comes to whipping pre-schoolers in Connect Four.


They just don't get it.


Foolish Finlandish outlandishness.


Did some Finnish washing. Look at those teensy-tiny, stripy tighties! 
Gotta keep the washing interesting or it becomes tedious.

The Husband served up his finest Finnish fare which was actually Knackwurst.
But look at how European was his application of condiments!


Child One is digging some cool toons on her I-POd ... there's a crazy mix of capitals and lower-case in the word i-Pod which I haven't caught onto yet.


 We played in the sun as if the daylight would last for 19 hours.


And I did the washing up because this was one Hell Sinkey.

Fin!

19 comments:

  1. Martta makes me think of that sweet little girl from The Sound of Music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind about Finland; it is lovely, lovely seeing you all there - and yes, I clicked on every picture (except the one of the sink, and the hot dog...) Sweet Martha, I think you will have to send her to Norway for her summer holiday. And you, you did it! :))) That's wonderful, you look wonderful and just as I thought you would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CP, I forgot about little Marta from Sound of Music!

    Lilli, almost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so lovely to loll in that sun after days of bleakness and rain. You were lucky that your law notes didn't blow away (or maybe not). Perhaps all the highlighter ink weighed them down nicely.
    Remember when Marta and the Von Trapp kids wore headscarves and leiderhosen made from the curtains. You could dress your entire family in Marimekko bedspread ensembles and don't forget a jaunty hat for Dapper Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martha! I love the hell sinkey! The childs all look adorable, I love child 2 with his hands in his pockets. Hope child 1 got her hands unstuck. Make the baby a doona, I loove the tiny tights! I love how your mug matches your do rag or whatever they call it in Finland. You've got that sweet hubby mowing and cooking! How do you do it?!
    Fin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect weather to head-scarfs and knackwursts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha... You have just made my husband and I laugh with your Hell Sinkey :) We know what it is like trying to bring a little of our heritage into our lovely Brisbane life. My way is my gardening, my lust for great design and my blog. Have a great weekend and look forward to following your blog. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie, good idea about the matching upholstery outfits! Every-so-often I think of taking to the bedsheet with scissors (maybe cushion covers), but I don't think I can do it.

    Deb, as always, you're full of love!

    Reader 3, I sewed the headscarf! Can you believe it?

    NMI,
    Hello too. Thanks for following. You know I'm not a Finn. Hope I haven't mislead you. I'm just ordinary Austrayan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your use of the phrase "get up"...I use it alot as what I wear seems to fit this category rather than the more refined term of "outfit". Isn't it a glorious day today? cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes hello Martha! It would be fun to ride a bike with no hand brakes. That cast iron pot could come in very handy for my camping trip next w/end. I'm a jolly swagwoman it seems.
    Excellent condiment application and mowing. Love your get up, looking very groovy Mama-ish! I can kind of see the humour in the hell sinkey, if I didn't have that kind of hell. Note to St Nicholas, I want a dishwasher (Bosch thanks), a new oven (also Bosch) and a DSLR camera.
    PS - No I have not made that caramel slice. You made it look too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that you kept your bedspread. You'd get a lot of use out of it during the summer months. And if I didn't know better - I'd say you were Finnish in your head scarf! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. He he, i have just decided to remove our 4 massive Marimekko cushions off the lounge & i'm reusing the fabric, maybe patchwork or smaller cushions?? The fabric hasn't faded at all. I can out do you with my love for all things Finnish, my 3rd gal is a Fin & her teacher this year is from Finland. Needless to say Mrs C at school always looks a million dollars & has a fantastic figure in her 40s with 3 grown children. I love her, her voice, her perfect face, blonde hair, she's adorable & has a soft spot for my Fin. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  13. OBH, today was perfect. I'm surprised at how quickly the wind subsided.

    R&S, a new camera sounds like a great idea. Do you take your TimberMate camping with you? Just in case?

    Brismod, when my parents moved out of their house, I remember seeing two other Marimekko bedspreads in a bag destined for Vinnies. I left them. One of my biggest regrets. I thought about them this morning and sighed.

    Posie,
    you've outdone me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've had a very busy weekend with not a photo taken. Yours looks terrific. I little bit of Finland in Queensland. I personally have a soft spot for Norway - perhaps sweet memories of a boy called Elias that I met in Las Vegas. Probably not the greatest career move to have the family recreate a Norwegian adventure though... and personally I'm unsure about Norwegan (sp?) design. Hear they have good icecream though. Rambling now. Best be off. Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hell-Sinkey! You've officially cracked me up. And isn't it grand, having pre-schoolers who simply cannot wrap their curly little heads around the complex strategy behind Connect Four?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there. I've been reading about your Nordic obsession. You are funny! 'Cause you do realise that people in Sweden are dreaming of mangoes, sub-tropical climates and places where you can go swimming at Christmas....? Cheers from a snowy country which I fondly describe as being "over the sea from Sweden". Mook

    ReplyDelete