Friday, October 8, 2010

A magical Russian fairy house

Around the corner from our house is a magical building which we always drive passed on the way to school.


Its A-lined roof just peers over the top of the footpath, and it has always intrigued me.


It is now up for auction, and it was meant to be an "Open House' today. Unfortunately, no real estate agent appeared, so we decided to have a look around the grounds anyway. Like trespassers!

I'm not sure these photos show how wonderful this heritage-listed old house is.


 It was designed and built by Russian architect and artist Grigorii Mekhonoshin for his daughter.


It is a three-storey, A-frame building which includes sculptures of fairytale figures and classical composers.


Below are reliefs (not sure if that's the architectural term) of Classical composers such as Wagner and Beethoven and Mozart.


Next to the main A-frame house is a separate three-level building which consists of a garage, middle studio and a ground-level bathroom.


Because there was no real estate agent, we couldn't go inside, unfortunately. 
The interior has a spiral staircase ...


You enter the home at street level into the peek of its roof which is a large attic, reportedly adorned by an octagonal, ornate-plaster ceiling ... a trap door and wooden ladder takes you to the middle-level main bedroom.


The spiral staircase was through this window ...


There has been extensive renovations which explains the back deck.


And these young lads are standing on the edge of a roman bath-type pool ...


My friend and I decided we're going to ditch our families, buy the house and live in it like a pair of old spinsters. She'd own lots of cats in the main house, and I'd sew lots of tablecloths and bloomers in the studio, and we'd then sell them on the footpath!


And urban myths would grow around the Who, What, Why of the two old ladies who bought the magical Russian fairy house!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing place.....can you imagine how great the furniture must have been of the original owners? You have to try again to get inside, cheers katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this in the paper this morning. I am so intrigued by the architect/artist who designed such a whimsical place in Brisbane. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OBH,
    you know I didn't think about what sort of furniture they may have had ... almost impossible to get anything in there, it's so tiny! Are you suggesting I break in?

    BM,
    It does stand out in this area. I've never seen anything like it. I'm so glad I got to have a sticky-beak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intriguing place. How much do you think it will sell for? And who do you suppose will buy such a magical place? Maybe a nice granny who will bake cookies for your kids and keep them entertained with fairy tales during your bouts of study duty.They'll say, "please study mum so we can go to the magic house and eat sugary goodies!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool place! Thanks for the tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool. I hope you get to see inside! Like a little bit of Europe in your neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That house has always invited curiosity. It has always looked so fragile that I half expected to see it disappear over night as lots of folkloric Brisbania did back then. I may have to "inspect the property" next week. Do they check the intentions of prospective owners of such places so it doesn't get an extreme makeover? The crusty old concrete reminded me of Paronella Park near Cairns. Did you ever see that spooky old wonderland when you were in FNQ? Intrepid exploring, MMMC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful place! Is it really run down? Too bad the agent wasn't there, I love places like that. Maybe I could move in there and tempt all the childs with my magical cookies and such.
    p.s. I've got three pies made up for ThksDin, so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MCM,
    we tried estimating how much it'd go for, but there are too many factors - it's very close to the city, it's an extremely unique home, but it needs a lot of work, it's lay-out is completely crazy, you couldn't have children there, the rooms are tiny! Having said that, if I have a cool million, I'd snaffle it because I love it!

    KLT & Jo, my photos don't do it justice. It's very cute.

    AA,
    I hope it's 'open' next week. We thought it may have sold, because the agent didn't show. It's been heavily renovated inside ... but it's pretty basic ie wooden floors, white walls. There was no furniture. I never went to PP, but you're right, it has that mossed-statue feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, externally there's work to do. It would be a money pit.

    I could imagine you living there! You'd have problems with your horse, though. He/she may have to remain tethered on the road. This discussion is getting very Pippy Longstocking. You could bake magical pies, and I'd get my parents to lend you the Brothers Grimm buffet, and Child 3 could sleep in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a plan. Maybe I could just put Sassy in your yard and she could scare away the bush turkeys.

    ReplyDelete