Yes, well ponder those photos a bit longer, Readers ...
Because this is how it arrived! Sad. Devastated. Guilty for the fact if I hadn't have bought it, it'd probably be still in one piece, living its casseroley life.
The seller I bought it from ... Beggars and Choosers ... was very apologetic and upset that this was V&B's fate. And faster than you could say "slowcooker", he'd refunded my money. So full credit to him.
But it's sad it's ended this way. It breaks my heart when something like this smashes ... usually the Husband's responsible!


Oh no! I'm sad too. What a shame. It was good of him to refund you - he must have skimped on the bubble wrap.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so sorry! What a disappointment.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm not sad for myself. I'm really sad for it! As stupid as that sounds. The dish has been hanging around for decades and then because I buy it, it ends up getting smashed in transit. Of course, it's inanimate, but it's not like they're being made any more.
ReplyDeleteLooks like Mid Century Mosaic might be the only option- perhaps on one of your plant pots. It would have broken whoever bought it if it was a bubble wrap issue. When your number's up....
ReplyDeleteOh Noes! Was it sent in an envelope? There will be another one - just you wait and see.
ReplyDeleteOh the poor thing!! Like you say - its been around a while! I've heard that the Oz postal service is in a bit of a state with their deliveries at the moment.
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest some sort of mosaic with this too! Then it wouldn't be a total waist of lovely vintagness!
You have good materials now for mosaic. You can do it on plain 6 or 8 inch tiles. Or a piece of wood about 20cm square and then use it to make a trivet for the teapot or other casserole dishes. On the bottom of the wood once you have finished the top by grouting etc. you can edge with wood add felt to protect you lovely tables.
ReplyDeleteWith all the mosaic suggestions I have pulled it out of the bin.
ReplyDeleteThe trivet idea is a good one.
Thank you!
Oh, I can just imagine your disappointment... and I wanted to tell you that I save all the broken pieces in a glass jar. It looks pretty, and I'm saving up to a mosaic tabletop. But, since so many others had the same idea, I won't mention it :)
ReplyDeleteLilli,
ReplyDeleteI'll adopt your glass jar idea!
I love that in a glass jar idea! Sorry to hear about the dish, but very glad you had a ethical seller!
ReplyDeleteI have bought LOTS of ceramics from eBay and nothing has ever come to me in that state! Shame on him for not wrapping to properly!! So sorry you missed out on your gorgeous casserole :( :( The least he could do was refund quick smart so glad you didn't have any trouble there. Hope the vintage goddess provides again soon!
ReplyDeleteNessaKnits,
ReplyDeletehello! You're new! Yes, I was very relieved to have him refund my money. You're really at the mercy of international sellers. The UN won't step in and help a smashed casserole dish!
Jaqcqui,
I've bought heaps too, and you're right, it does come down to packaging, The AUS Dollar is packing some punches at the moment and it's very tempting to go beserk, but I have realised I have enough!
feeling sad for the casserole too... (but glad you pulled it out of the bin for a possible new life)
ReplyDeleteI'm feeling your pain. Whenever that sort of thing happens around here, I contemplate gathering the pieces and launching into some sort of (steep) mosaic learning curve.
ReplyDelete