Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Can you stand somewhere else, blog?

This blog embarrasses me no end. It's like having an annoying little brother whom I really don't want to know.

When I hear that people I know in real life read the blog, I get extremely self-conscious.


I was at a party the other night, and a girl I knew told me she read it ... I couldn't change the subject fast enough ... And then someone else asked about it and I refused to tell them anything.

I zipped my lips and threw away the key.


I wonder why I'm so ashamed by the blog?

Because really, the key to a popular blog, is to unashamedly promote it.  If I was really savvy, I'd be handing out business cards with the web address, and plugging it on forums or what-not.


I definitely don't tell people I write it!

Possibly it embarrasses me because what I write is so flippant and idiotic. Having said that, it's also very personal because I've written it. It's all my words and all my thoughts, so what you're reading now is how I'd be speaking to you if you were sitting on my laptop, and to think that people read my stupidity makes me cringe a bit.


I also try not to read previous posts, because I recoil at their inane, ridiculous, half-wittedness.

I think we all can agree, there's nothing unfunnier than someone who thinks they're funny.


Because, at the time I write these posts, I tell myself ...

"This is comic genius, MMMC!"
"Corporate media tycoons should be offering you a prime-time slot!"
"Snort! Someone stop me before my hernia ruptures! Again!" 

See? Unfunny.



It's not as if PG Wodehouse wrote this sort of twaddle.

PS I'm reading all these books when my exams finish, because, by Jeeves, that's proper writing.

PPS That 'snort' was a laugh, and not me doing a line of something illicit.

30 comments:

  1. I love flippant and idiotic, and you're a crack up (not the illicit type). Keep up the good work MMM-C, A+.
    Your loyal follower R&S; procrastinating in camping preparation. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get self-conscious too. No one in my family (ie Mum and brother etc) knows I blog. At least I don't think they do because they certainly haven't mentioned it and I haven't told them. And most of my friends aren't particularly interested. Anyway, I really enjoy reading your musings. It's light-hearted and fun and best of all you love mid 20th century!! A rare find indeed! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I am SO with you and feel exactly the same. I want to hide under whatever might be around even if I wouldn't fit! The answer: no idea. Maybe throw away modesty and self-consciousness..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I snorted at your snort gag. But oh, I do agree, so, so much. It is humiliatingly narcissistic, being a blogger. But you are funny. You are! And I am too! Hilarious! Aren't we?

    ps- At least you have the cocaine to lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. R&S and BM, thank you. I didn't want this to be an MMMC love-in ... or maybe I did?

    Jane,
    I'm going to start flogging the blog. You should too.

    Ha! Ha! Aah! Child 4 call an ambulance, that Mogantosh has made my hernia pop out again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean. I often feel like I can share more on my blog than in real life. The only reason that I often edit my posts is because some of my friends read it. I don't think they understand that my bloggy friends are important to me too. It's such a nice place - blogland. I've just only very recently discovered your blog but wouldn't want you to change a silly thing! It's all great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dont be embarrassed, i love your blog and it is funny! and i would say those people at the party think so too.... Keep up your silly twaddle MMMC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you feel - I talk to no-one I know in real life about my blog, unless they mention it first. My mother was introduced to my blog by my sister, and she said to me one day, "I read your shoebox" (shoebox being a reference to my blog title). I instantly felt like I was 13 and she had found my diary, or a shoebox of love letters hidden under my bed.
    And I don't even write about anything very personal!
    How strange that we feel perfectly ok about writing for people we have never met, but embarrassed when the people who know us best read it.
    Oh, and since this is my first comment on your blog since discovering it recently, I'll say hello and that I enjoy reading your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happy you haven't been stopped by your embarrassment - I'm always glad to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just discovered your blog MMMC - there is nothing to cringe about. From where I sit its an absolute pleasure! Two words for you: Lamp and Bushell - let one not hide the other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, don't be embarrassed, I don't know you but I've spent a happy 10 minutes with a cup of coffee reading your blog. We all get something different from each others blogs and its very satisying. If you stop you'd miss it and others would miss you....from Eli, a mid-century child !(found you via your comment on Jane Foster's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should be proud of your fabulous blog!
    When I first began it was all in secret - I didn't tell anyone, I was sooo embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Golly. Truly didn't want this to be a self-congratulatory thing. I abhor that sort of narcissism, and that's not why I wrote what I did ... but ...

    SarahB, it is a different world isn't it? And I can't give it up, for many reasons.

    Melissa, you're lovely. Thank you. I have children looking over my shoulder ... can't be too intimate!

    Oh Rett, thank you. That's exactly what I mean! Funny, isn't it!

    Catherine, you're a stalwart! Not a Hogwart ... where does the Hogwart series go in the Dewey Decimal System?

    Anonymous,
    you're a bit Biblical. I love a New Testament link!

    Flutterby Patch,
    you may find that 10 minutes is 10 minutes TOO LONG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Flutterby Patch' said it well. Even if you don't read your old posts, I do and they always makes me smile. At least you live in a big city, that gives some kind of camouflage. I sometimes wonder what would happen if I was to have an argument with one of the 250 people living here. She would point her finger at me and say: "Not even your mother loves you..." I'm sure Jeeves would say that we have to "take it like a man, a gentleman."

    ReplyDelete
  15. NessaKnits,
    I hope no one's in the room when you snort!

    CurlyPops,
    And you're a blogging legend! Nothing to be shy about there.

    Lilli,
    if someone said that to me, I think it'd be 'gloves off' slaps-ville. I'll defend you if you slapped someone ... I'm hoping you have some kind of provocation defence in Norway! Brisbane is quiet a small city, really. Not as small as 250 people though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm terrified Andrew will read my blog and find out how much crap I buy.....eeek
    as for telling family about it, I'd rather swallow hot glue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think we are all the same aren't we? I cringe when anyone in my "real" life mentions it, but thankfully that doesn't happen often! Please include me in your love fest MMMC!

    HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello, just happened upon you from...somewhere...jane foster? anyway, i feel exactly the same, i'd be mortified if any of the new mums at school read my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, puh-leese. Yours is no more twaddle than any of the rest. And you make me laugh. (Mostly. Sometimes you make me knit my brow in consternation, but that's fun, too.) Enjoy your snort.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am an avid MMMC blog follower - and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We're the ones reading you, love, so it better not be twaddle or that makes us all a bit dim (and you know that's not true at all!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Estelle,
    I'm a bit the same. Hot glue sounds like a good recipe.

    Deb, straight back attcha.

    Francesca,
    the new mums at school should read your blog. It looks a bit groovy.

    Wendy, a knitted brow ... that's the last thing we need ... though you're heading to winter and you may need the extra warmth.

    Hello Anon, thank you. You're obviously very nice.

    AA,
    You're spot-on again. The best bits about this thing are the comments. That's when it all comes together and makes it worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're so right - writing in a black hole is very different to seeing the faces of the people who read your work. Being able to see the judgment in their faces, good or bad, is very daunting. Nevertheless, I suggest you suck-it-up, devise a few formulaic answers to drink party questions and get on with writing some more twaddle. Where's Oprah Horsey these days?
    M-L
    ps what you're doing takes guts and I admire you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ha MMMC... I wish I had your guts! I've got myself so tied up in being self conscious that I've been slack blogging! And no one I know even looks at it...! The ultimate in "can you stand somewhere else" :(

    And thanks for clarifying the snorting... I was beginning to worry about your potential influence on my poor little self...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Emmy,
    I hope you read this because I've tried to comment on your blog before but the layout won't let me submit anything. Maybe that is happening to others as well? It doesn't let me see the word verification device, so I can't submit a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. New York Times best seller list 1972, published in 1969 by author Thomas A. Harris M.D. Can you name this book MMMC? Therein lies my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  27. MCM,
    Thank goodness for Wikipaedia.

    I'm ok.

    ReplyDelete