There's a crazy mix of languages. The predominant one is Finnish, I suspect. But there is some English as well.
It features an interview with Marimekko founder Armi Ratia in 1976. She died three years later, for those who want to know.
There are some fabulous examples of hair, fabrics, clothing and spectacles.
I'm sure near the end of the clip I heard the words 'Australia' and 'New Zealand'. But I can't be 100% sure.
As an aside ...
Do you know what this picture is of?
It's of Jackie Kennedy (with her grinning two-timing husband in the background) on the cover of Sports Illustrated 1960 wearing a Marimekko shift dress - I'm sure Marimekko is infinitely grateful for this shot!
Because the company took-off in American, as women followed the then-First Lady's fashion trend.
Over to you, Armi.
Lovely printing. You know the drill ...
Fin!
Fin!

I didn't understand a word... maybe 'tekstil', maybe 'Australia', but Finnish is the only Nordic language it's impossible for me to understand. Marimekko is... marimekko, I'm maybe not their biggest fan. But - love the way Armi Ratia looks, and feel of the 70s!
ReplyDeleteLilli,
ReplyDeleteisn't that interesting about Finnish? I'd assume the scandinavian languages were all a bit similar. But I'm hopeless with languages. I thought it sounded Italian!
I loved the fellow smoking in the business meeting! Always cracks me up!
Ooh, I saw Lady Bird in there. I share the same opinion of Jackie's first hubby. I think I heard nazi in there too! Yikes.
ReplyDeleteHey, I had a go at watching the film, but must admit it was best viewed without the sound :) Finnish is not part of the scandinavian language group. Norwegian + swedish and danish I assume, is part of the "German" language group (have no idea what is the correct english/I would not write this in Wikipedia...) Finnish is part of Russia and the "eastern" countries -language group. Finnish supposedly has a more difficult grammar than German, and german is difficult.
ReplyDeleteWell, my lesson for today will now end. I hope no one will check the facts in this 20-year old knowledge of mine.. BUT have a great day! :)
Lena,
ReplyDeletethank you so much for that explanation. I'm happy with it just the way it is! I won't cut-and-paste it into wikipedia!
Wow. I'm assuming a glass of red and five days of camping (no technology), not to mention my grade 6 award for diligence, and a love of foreign film and doco's got me through this. No subtitles did mean I concentrated too much on Armi's provocative drawl and tendency to look up through the side of one eye. I did think her white bookshelves very current and IKEA Lack shelves like, and here style modern and timeless. Strange swinging at the end. Or not.
ReplyDeleteR&S,
ReplyDeleteI'm lauging! Congratulations on the Gr 6 award! Yes, the swingiing at the end had me confusedly transfixed! And I noticed her white-box shelves too! Great minds!
Cool! Yeah, I didn't understand a word, but liked watching... :)
ReplyDelete