Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blue-eyed, blonde-haired, nordic-type Christmas tree

Shameless Scandophile. I'll gladly put my hands up to being one.

If I hear a Dane's jumped off a cliff into a fjord, and then a Swede's jumped off the same cliff into the same fjord, then I'll twice jump into that fjord and join them.


A book from The Lark ... look at that little Punky Brewster with the short hair!

I'm unabashed in my love for all things Scandinavian ... and I'll do what I can to bring a little bit of Scandinavia to the MC Hacienda. Yes. Indeedy, I do.

I try and dress my children like little Scandinavians ... Little Scandinavians residing in the subtropics.

My attempts generally fail miserably. I just can't pull-off the Scandinavian look because they, in the end, will never look like Norwegians or Danes. They just look, and sound, like boisterous Austraylians.

And the only Child who's malleable enough to let me manipulate her dress is Child 4. 


I would like to think I could get her to look like the gorgeous children in the Scandinavian blogs I stalk ... like bybjor, lullaby oglala, smilerynker.dk.

Look at this little European person ... Though, to put a proverbial spanner in the works, she is German, which we all know is not especially near Scandinavia ... Regardless, she's cute.


However, I do hold slim chance of success with Scandinavian children's dress due to ... BabygoesRetro ...  it sells such clothing from the Sunshine Coast ... as crazy as that sounds.

I usually wait for the sales ... only because I also have a fondness for Target-brand turtlenecks which cost about $4 so that price-yardstick dictates the general amount I'll spend on children's clothes ...

On a completely different, though Scandinavian-related, tangent, I saw this yesterday from the people at Retrovilla Denmark ... (direct your attention to the green thing on the right).



I'm making the bold assumption it's a Christmas tree ... (It is. On Child 4's suggestion, I translated the site.)

 


I like it because it's an amalgam of Danish practicality and minimalist functionality. And, from a Southern Hemisphere perspective, it makes sense ... Australia isn't known for its native towering Fir Trees at Christmas time ... so the plastic, green, dismountable Fir Tree I drag from its box every year causes me considerable cognitive dissonance ...



I'd prefer one like this.

I just need to find someone to make one for me ...
possibly out of all the bottle tops and toilet rolls I hoard.

Kinder! Start a-hammerin' and a-gluin'!

9 comments:

  1. But Christmas isn't Christmas without the plastic faux tree with garland after garland of tinsel?? Hmmm...not convinced about the dowel tree...too much like a coat rack. And your kids would make a meal of it. At least Child 4 would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brismod, you make me laugh!

    You'll see ... when I get one (or make one outta toilet rolls), I'll invite you over to see it! Everyone will get overly excited because we're having visitors ... the dowel tree will topple asunder and impale someone! It'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could really go for the coat rack tree too. Try hauling an unwieldy fir tree through your house and getting it to stand up without falling over. It takes a whole year to finally get rid of the needles and then you have to do it all over again.

    Wanna trade?

    ReplyDelete
  4. But Deb,
    atleast it's snowing and cold at Christmas where you are. I think Christmas trees would almost be a dime-a-dozen in your neck of the woods. I have heard the dropped needles are a pain(!).

    But do the trees smell nice?

    Yours in prematurely thinking about Christmas,

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trees do smell wonderful. Christmas is the only time of the year when I want snow. Trees are certainly plentiful around here. They sell for $20 and up.

    Yours in vacuuming,

    p.s. I'll send you a "real" Christmas card. But not yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to kill a tree every year growing up in Stanthorpe-(pseudo European Queensland.) We'd go to the pine forests (probably illegal now) and soak it on the patio before bunging it in the bucket and decorating the poor sagging beast. It would barely last a week in the summer heat and we'd all have to help pick the needles out of the jungle green Heuga tiles for New Year. It did smell nice, though.
    Love your tree in theory but I suspect an immature eyeball could end up dangling on a twig with the other baubles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me want to send you "stuff" all the time. Last night, while I was reading in bed, I happend to glance at the lamp shades on the wall, thinking "that Australian mother would probably kill for these..." :)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. VH, send me the stuff!!

    I loved your post the other day where you mentioned a little 'Martha table' you had ...

    Martha is one of my favourite names ... and good pieces of furniture should have names.

    Yours in reading in bed and thinking of people on the other side of the world,

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMC: Send me the adress!
    (Look what a futuristic name you have!) All the furniture we have found and saved has names, so we have the Martha-table, the Jenny-bench, the Sköien Sisters (two stools)... maybe that could be a fun post :)

    ReplyDelete