Friday, June 4, 2010

Camping

This post is just an excuse to show off the Fisher Price camping set.

 

I nearly fell over when, a couple of weeks ago, I pulled this one out of storage.

I think it must have been one of the last sets I got from sunny Hawaii - I must have been quite old, now I come to think about it. 

Possibly in Grade Five.

 

It really just reminds me how much I hate camping. I know families who love camping, but I somehow can't bring myself to pack the car with sleeping bags, mosquito repellant and plastic bags for the inevitable wet undies.

 

Camping to me means:
  • sand being dragged inside the tent and ultimately one's sleeping bag;
  • hanging around caravan parks with old people wearing stubbies and singlets;
  • being befriended by kids who are not backwards in declaring their parents' criminal histories;
  • watching poor saltwater fish slowly suffocate in buckets of tap water near the caravan door;
  • having to drink powdered milk for no good reason at all;
  • lying in bed at night knowing full-well that the lock on the caravan door doesn't work, and that we'll all be slaughtered in our sleep by one of the ex-crims living in a tent across the way; 
  • being forced to go out in a slowly-leaking tinny; and
  • playing card games.
See, I hate camping. And to be honest, if we went camping now, getting all rigged-up and prepared would probably cost a small fortune.



And, besides that, I'd hate for a dingo to take Child 4.

9 comments:

  1. I love two things:
    1. Seeing Fisher Price camping toys from my childhood
    2. Camping
    Nah, I don't so much love camping, it is ok. But I did so love that camping set. It looks brand new! Soo exciting.
    Two other comments:
    1. Why is a dog riding a motorbike? Did it learn at the same motorcylce school as the purple teddy bear from the Bankwest ads? I love that teddy bear.
    2. What is my lassie doing with the Cupie doll? I am trying to recall which family it went with... I did love that lassie too.
    There is a lot of love around tonight.
    Finally...what is "powered milk"? Is that like milo?
    PS I just got your funny - lassie/cupie=dingo/baby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ct,
    a few things:

    1a) The camping set is in incredibly good condition. Which reminded me that it was one of the final pieces.

    1) I love a response to a post. Makes it all worthwhile.

    2) I meant 'powdered' milk. I have had about two glasses of 'powdered' wine, so please forgive the mistype.

    In a more glamorous household, I would have had a martini already!

    3) Don't know the Bankwest ad. The dog's riding the cycle because in the land of Fisher Price, anything's possible. And he couldn't fit in the car.

    4) Did the lassie go with a farm? We have a farm house which I thought was Turps' but maybe it was yours. I put I little photo of Turps' behind one of the windows ... he must think I'm insane.

    5) I laughed at the dingo/baby joke. I wonder how many other rib-ticklers I've included that have fallen flat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes lassie was with a red farm. For the life of me I can't remember anything else that went with it apart from the barn and the silo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try and incorporate it and the horse and cow in an agricultural post. At some point. Actually, there are a couple of people too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw your other rib-ticklers are appreciated, like your June 1st about unkooking your hands from your crocheted helmet. Ha fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM-C, Red Baron here. Looks like the kids are getting a solid grounding in plastics. That's what the future is about, plastics. Whether it's a dopey dog with a big plastic smile or a pilot with a stiff wave the world is a better place when your barn door opens with a smooth moo. Keep it coming. See you and FP caravan at Clarks camping ground before you know it. RB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Baron,
    I used to enjoy 'Red Baron' sauce on my hot dogs circa 1982.

    'Red Baron' came in a red rocketship bottle (plastic) with a yellow lid which served as the top of the bottle. Brilliant!

    I know someone who's not shy in announcing he can still sing the ad's jingle! How's that?

    Plastic's underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red Baron,
    Now I come to think about it ... you must have been at Clarke's Beach Holiday Park in Byron Bay when me, and my siblings, scattered a lot of free presents around the camping ground ... surprising fellow campers who found unsolicited, but nicely wrapped, gifts addressed to "Jim" or "Barnie" in their caravans. If so, I hope you liked your gift. It required some forethought and added an anarchic-quality to our holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just steer clear of gangs of siblings who point at you and call 'humf! humf! humf! humf! humf!'. They may then plan to make one cry any way possible at least once a day. Keep them away from your bicycle. If all else fails, just send your 'orange people' mother after them....Baagwan is my master!

    ReplyDelete