Tuesday, June 29, 2010

London calling to Jens Risom

This is for all the Mid-Century aficionados livin' it up in London.

I feel you brothers and sisters.




And if the Husband, 4xChilds and I were with you, we'd all be sleeping on your couch, we'd wake up noisily tomorrow morning, drink some of your coffee and orange juice, and eat some of your jam and toast, all give you a big squeezy handshake and say:

"We're off to the Jen Risom exhibition at the Rocket Gallery Tea Building, Shoreditch High Street, London E1.

"Come with us, because we won't leave until you do".



Jens Risom is a 94-year-old Danish-born American designer. He designed a swag of furniture in the '50s and '60s.

He has more recently teamed-up with Rocket Gallery and Benchmark Furnishings to reproduce his beautiful pieces.



I think it's wonderful that a talented designer such as Mr Risom is still alive to be able to enjoy, and benefit from, the current wave of interest in the Mid-Century design aesthetic. Bully for him!




I'd love to go to the exhibit and say, "Hi".



My favourite piece is this desk and chair set. I like it so much, that I've decided no other desk is worthy of Child 1's homework, so she has to do her homework on the floor from now on.

You can find out more about the Jens Risom exhibition here.

PS The exhibition doesn't start until July 1, so we'd all have to trundle back home and stay a few more days.

7 comments:

  1. Your child should certainly do her homework on the floor if she cannot have that desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, such an obvious choice of workspace considering the circumstances. We have standards in the MC hacienda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That coffee table has a familiarity for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the table. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the hole used for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Possibly to access magazines which may be propped on that ledge just below?

    ReplyDelete