Sunday, June 27, 2010

They turn my innards to the point of exhaustion.

Two words really irritate me, Three Readers.

First is 'tummy'. That word irks me beyond belief.

I always question an adult's intelligence if he/she chooses to use 'tummy' in any other context than speaking directly, face-to-face, with an ill or ravenous toddler.

What's wrong with 'stomach'? Even 'belly' is pushing it.

Second ... this word has irritated me from about 11am today.

I was driving west and I read the road sign:

"Driver fatigue kills.
Pull over if sleepy."

Sleepy?

'Sleepy' is the name of a fairytale dwarf, and if it's being used in this context as a proper noun, then I want my own sign:

"Driver fatigue kills.
Pull over if MMMC."


If it's being used as a verb, then how old is the average driver? Four?

What's wrong with 'tired" or why not use "fatigued"?

I may be unduly harsh, and these are completely inoffensive words for the average sleepy-head with a tummy-ache.

1 comment: