As I look back over my day,Three Readers, reality begins to set in.
I am living a double life.
I may espouse the Mid-Century minimalist lifestyle, but what I'm living is a suffocating existence of too many toys.
There. I said it. I think it's time to purge some plastic playthings while the little, innocent 4xChilds are asleep.
I feel guilty because some of these things have been given to us by well-meaning relatives. It all adds up, doesn't it? And it's all given with love.
And the obsessive-compulsive-prone Child 3 remembers everything - he has a precise map in his head of the entire city in which we live.
What to do? What to do?
But really, do we need four helicopters (I can think of another one out-of-shot) and numerous other airplanes?
Speak up over the whirring chopper blades ...
I also remember who gave what and we are drowning here... have managed two bags of teddy bears to go to Vinnies, but have stalled. Tonight I even glued fabric on a desk (because it's easier than painting it) instead of facing the cull that has to happen. I think my life may be parallel to your double one. That's confusing.
ReplyDeleteOo-er, I remember (LOL!) the problem. I gave loads of toy stuff away to money-raising fairs for their playgroups and schools as my darlings grew. Modern mums seem to sell the stuff at car boots etc. My advice is to keep things that were well-loved at the time before being discarded (not talking about treasured teddies etc) for their own children. I slightly regret a few things I gave away but times change and only really 'classic' toys survive fashion. My daughters loved their father's childhood plastic cowboys and indians, and farm animals,which were saved by their grannie. We have some (well-worn) Star Wars stuff waiting for our big grown up son to sprog.
ReplyDeleteMs A-B & E-M, good advice thank you. I was beginning to do what Ms Bartlett suggested, that is glue my face to the desk, but then I thought 'There must be an easier way'! So I'm listening to E-M.
ReplyDeleteMy problem is that I see an heirloom in almost everything ... what would I do if I didn't have 30-yr-old Fisher Price to amuse me.
I will be brutal with a dash of practical nostalgia.
How does that sound?
You could always hire a bobcat and start digging a basement...
ReplyDeleteI think you need to discuss the left helicopter with the guitar wielding sibling and with the police action men who flew it who I remember had some resemblance to the village people. The plane and the two right helicopters I believed belonged to a drum wielding sibling, though who would acquiesce to mmmc decision, despite the nostalgia seeing them brings. If anything, maybe hang onto the park ranger yellow plane. Do the claws on the white helicopter still work?
ReplyDeleteHelicopters! I had a dream last night I was working for President Obama (why?) but I'd left my law notes back at my hotel, so I had to get a lift in the Presidential Black Hawke so I could retrieve them. I got some great views of NYC.
ReplyDeleteI've kept the police chopper as we have the muscular men; the blue chopper as it goes with the Oil Tanker set which is floating (ha!) around. The others were earmarked for Vinnies. I'll keep the Ranger plane for you, and discuss with Dr Rock what his thoughts are.